Friday, December 5, 2008

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama - "There Will Be Light"


I've never been a big Ben Harper fan, though that's not his fault. I've just got bad associations with him - someone whom I had a hard time with years ago was obsessed with him. One of those kinds of things. So silly, but it runs deep. But when Ben Harper put this album out with the Blind Boys of Alabama in 2004, I figured that I could probably handle it. I'm really glad I got over myself at least a little bit, because this is a great album.

I spent this afternoon making and wrapping some holiday gifts, and was looking for some feelgood tunes to get me in the mood. Straight up Christmas music doesn't always (or usually) do it for me, but digging around a bit, I came upon this cd. Totally perfect. I hadn't listened to it in years. The old school gospel sound and positive vibrations were a really sweet accompaniment for my projects.

When I purchased this album I listened to it a lot for a while, but I don't think I ever read any of the sleeve. As I worked away this afternoon, I assumed that what I was listening to was a set of traditional gospel tunes. I even imagined that the Blind Boys might have let Ben pick his favorite old school gospel songs for the album. Well, it's good to read those liner notes! Turns out that Ben Harper wrote all but two of the tracks. Well, alright. I'm not an expert, but I have done some time in a gospel choir, so I'm not a novice. I'm impressed.

I took one more listen to the album after I'd been enlightened, and I could hear a bit more of the modern influence. The second song, "Wicked Man" sounds a little bit Black Crow-ish. But overall, I'm still blown away that he wrote almost all of these tunes. Certainly helps to have the Blind Boys of Alabama to make them sound legit. Together, they've put out a foot-stompin album that's just downright great.

Maybe someday I'll be able to take Ben Harper off my do not play list. Until then, I'm glad I at least got over myself and got "There Will Be a Light." If you need a little light in these darkest days of the year, lemme know, I'll send this right over.

1 comment:

bomb said...

i have a similar ben harper phobia, not because of negative associations with anyone, but because i always thought he took himself a little too seriously. (i won't deny that he's talented though.) anyway, i love the blind boys of alabama and when i saw they did an album together my heart sank a little. your post has me excited to reconsider and give the album and ben harper a chance!

adam