Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spoon - "Ga Ga Ga Ga"


My last post got me in a rock sort of mood, so I decided to pick up this Spoon cd and bring it with me in the car this weekend. This band got a lot of hype last year, and so I bought the album. It's a'ight. But really, I don't think it's anything to write home about. I wanted to like it more than I do. I imagine that if I had some nostalgic connection to any of these songs, that would make me more attached to them. Or even if I was from Austin, TX and had watched them try to make it for so long and was proud of them for finally hitting it sorta big.

But neither of those things are true for me, so my verdict is that this is just a totally okay rock album. I can't really say that they hit me in any particular way, or that they have defined a sound that is very distinct. The only song that I really get into is "The Underdog," which I think is trying to be kind of political. Maybe it's their anthem against George W. Bush? But maybe I'm reading into it to justify liking it. It's kind of an indie rock take on Billy Joel. There's lots of clapping and stuff, and it's very reminiscent of "Only the Good Die Young." Why that makes me like it, I don't know. It's just a fun song, and makes me want to get up and dance. Which none of their other tunes do.

So there you have it. If you're trying to build your rock collection, or you have some sort of nostalgic or emotional affinity for Spoon, I would be so happy to send you this album. For now, I'm going to copy "The Underdog" and leave it at that.

No comments: