Thursday, November 20, 2008

Arcade Fire - "Neon Bible"


Oh, the Canadian invasion. What is it that makes them all so damn cool and lovable? I'm too tired tonight to pretend to have an articulate answer, but it is an oddly particular vibe, at least among these early 21st century Canadian superbands. They're intense and earnest, and yet so hip. A few months ago I got dragged to the Middle East to see some bands I'd never heard, and (before falling asleep during the last band - I'm really good at that) I remember turning to my friend after the first band started and saying "They're definitely Canadian." What exactly did I mean? I dunno, but I was right.

I first heard Arcade Fire when my sister put "Rebellion (Lies)" from "Funeral" on a mix for me. I loved it instantly. And when I finally got my hands on the full album, I fell for it just as hard. So I was super excited when "Neon Bible" was released a couple of years later. Sarah and I bought it just before we left on vacation that summer, and were very happy with ourselves that we could accompany our road trip to Prince Edward Island with a new album from our favorite Canadians. But the copy we got didn't agree with our car's stereo for reasons we still don't really understand, so we never listened to it, settling instead for hours upon hours of listening to the Harry Potter books. (Which was actually really wonderful, that guy that reads them is amazing.)

So, today when I moved to the third drawer of my collection and pulled out "Neon Bible," I didn't know quite how to feel. I never really developed a relationship with this album. When we got back from PEI, I sort of forgot to listen to it. Well, today was the day! Really taking in this album is no joke. It makes so much sense to me that it was recorded at "the church" in Quebec. Half the time when I'm listening to these guys, and this album in particular, I picture that intense preacher kid in "There Will Be Blood." (The same actor who was so awesome in "Little Miss Sunshine.") Moving from "Funeral" to "Neon Bible," is like the pastor preaching a strong but still easy to swallow sermon one Sunday, and then coming back the next week to really let it rip, like "actually I wasn't joking about that."

Arcade Fire are full of drama. The kind of drama that back in the 80s was too much for me to deal with. I never got into a Smiths or Cure or Depeche Mode phase. But these folks go at it with a level of confidence and joy that makes it work for me. Plus they're just really damn good musicians, and know how to put an anthem together. In fact, for the first time today I recognized a serious dose of The Boss coming through - on "AntiChrist Television Blues" in particular - not a bad choice for anthemic inspiration. I could almost feel them channeling "Born to Run."

My biggest critique of "Neon Bible," and the reason that I'd pick "Funeral" over it any day, is that this album is full throttle from beginning to end, with much less breathing room or variation than I find in the flow of the tracks on "Funeral." In moments it's also a little more creepy than the vibe on "Funeral," which isn't really my thing. But hey, seems like the preacher wants to be serious this time. And the singles, "Keep the Car Running," "No Car Go," and "Intervention" are all super solid and catchy. Just maybe a bit more fun on their own.

I may not often listen to this entire album from beginning to end in the future, but I'm glad I finally did today. I've definitely burned it into my collection, and I'd be happy to pass it on to yours. Hopefully it'll work in your car.

2 comments:

Flavia, Tim, Martina, and Felix said...

Springsteen meets Echo and the Bunnymen.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Meg,

"Keep the Car Running" is my favorite song from this record. It was one of those tracks that I just latched onto upon first listen. All in all, 'Neon Bible' is a solid album, but nothing else on it ever came close to "Keep the Car..." for me.