Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Common Market - eponymous

If I had any doubt that my hip hop taste is not mainstream, it was erased this fall. In October, I spent a week in Columbus, O-hi-o working on the Obama campaign. A big part of my job involved driving a 15 passenger van back and forth from the Ohio State campus to the early voting station, full of college students. The radio and cds we listened to were all hip hop and r&b. Literally every time something came on that I thought was cool, it would immediately get boo'd and ejected by the kids in the van.

I imagine that Common Market would have met the same fate. There must be books and dissertations out there analyzying the journey of "conscious hip hop" over the last couple of decades. What is the story??? I mean, I know the basics of the story, but it still upsets me. I need to go read some of those books and get more of the nuances so I can talk more eloquently about the race and economic factors that have gotten us to this point. Thank god that folks like Common Market are still at it anyway.

I picked up this album randomly in 2006 when I was in Seattle for my sister's wedding. I definitely listened to it a bunch right then, but it's been a while. Giving it another listen on this grey, rainy morning has seriously lifted my spirits. Common Market reminds me of everything I love about hip hop. The samples are creative, generous and melodic, the lyrics serious and probing, and the beats get your head bobbin right away. It's been a long time since I've heard hip hop that is on par with standards set back in the early 90s by the zulu nation. Amazing that two guys from Seattle, brought together by their Baha'i faith, are carrying the torch.

One of many things that I love about this album is that it's an ALBUM. It flows, and works from beginning to end. Starts with a track, "Re-fresh," that gets you psyched right away - though it kind of cracks me up that it opens with the sounds of the NYC subway. Maybe a nod to the new york roots of their tradition by these northwest guys. Wraps up with a remix of the single "Every Last One" that I'm in love with, largely because there's some kind of go-go track running through it. A nod to D.C. that reminds me of trying to sneak into Chuck Brown shows when I was in high school. Nice.

Common Market has just achieved unique status in my music life - this is the first cd I've listened to for this project that has made me want to buy another cd. I know that's not really the point (it's kind of like the yard sale we had years ago in Somerville at the same time as our neighbors across the street, and ended up just swapping all our stuff). Luckily, I can download Common Market's new album, "Tobacco Road," and bypass the cd format. Too bad for you.

I'm not only burning this one into my collection, I have a feeling I'm going to be listening to it a lot. Until I buy their new album. By the way, I can't seem to find this eponymous cd listed anywhere on their website, so it may be out of print. Just another plug for someone to speak up and get this one in your mailbox sometime soon.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Hey-
I'll make a comment. I have never heard of this band, but your review has me interested. If no one else has spoken up yet- I would be interested to add some new hip hop to my collection. I haven't been listening to much hip hop lately except that Connal put on some De La Soul last night and our uptight neighbors downstairs complained about the base even though it was 7pm. LAME.